Monday 29 September 2008

10th Chinese Building Decoration Show (Guangzhou) 2008


What a fabulous opportunity - to travel 5500 miles to demonstrate how to effectively paint Lincrusta in 95% humidity; well, the product stood up to it, but I'm not too sure if I would have, without the air conditioning.

The main issue that I found was materials sourcing, as the paints that were sent over for me to use were impounded (Chinese Revenue & Customs like their paperwork!). I use waterbased paints - not my first choice, but work with what's available. Working on Italian Renaissance RD1952, primed with a Dulux acrylic primer and base coated with a Dulux emulsion. The decorative paint effects worked a treat (dried out a bit too quickly at times) - but stood up to the job.

After a few "Ooos" and "Ahhhs", I found that the Chinese people seemed to prefer the metallic finishes (gilt cream on black emulsion) over the red and gold that I would have presupposed.

Lincrusta was incredibly well received - the stand was popular and orders were taken.